About our locations
We investigate locations across a wide area, centred on Shropshire and Staffordshire but also venturing further afield into adjoining counties and occasionally even further afield.
We often conduct return investigations at many of the locations with guests returning to find out more about the spirits found there.
Below we take a look at just some of our most popular locations…..
Daniels Mill, Bridgnorth
With its origins dating back to the 15th century and several recorded deaths during the construction of the Victorian viaduct which towers above, Daniels Mill is an archetypal historical landmark.
The Mill has been in the same family for at least 250 years and would have been at the centre of the rural community throughout that time.
It is now owned and run by the Daniels Mill Trust with the aim of preserving it as a working mill for future generations.
The watermill – the largest still working in England – is virtually unaltered since the 18th Century, set deep in a wooded valley crossed by the 19th century viaduct carrying the Severn Valley Railway to Bridgnorth.
The earliest reference to the Mill and land surrounding it appears around the late 15th century, when it was known as ‘Donynges’ or ‘Dunnings’ Mill. It remained in the hands of the estate until the 18th century, and in the early centuries was probably worked by a Journeyman Miller, who would visit the mill when there was work for it to do.
It is likely the first enlargement would have taken place around the early 17th century, when land was obtained to construct the upper or top pool. When this pool was made, a small Mill was built under its dam.
With all this history and tragedy, what Spirits might you encounter when you join us at Daniels Mill?
Halfpenny Green Airport
Halfpenny Green Airport has a long history and notable incidents/accidents associated with it – including a Royal fatality.
During the 1970s, air races took place here and it was during one of these that Prince William of Gloucester, a cousin of Queen Elizabeth II, died at the airport on August 28, 1972 when the aircraft he was piloting crashed into a hedge just beyond the airfield’s boundary.
He was just 30 years old.
In 1939, the Air Ministry acquired land to build the aerodrome and construction was complete by early 1941.
Operations commenced in May 1941 with No.3 Air Observers’ Navigation School flying Blackburn Bothas. The Botha had been designed to drop torpedoes and of 473 Bothas used by the RAF for training, 169 crashed, including two from Halfpenny Green crashing on successive days in June of that year.
On December 13, 1944 a Beam Approach Training Flight Oxford swung on take-off, running into five parked Ansons. The visibility was reported as “ten to fifteen yards“.
Today it is a thriving base for general aviation being home to four fixed wing flying schools, one helicopter school, a microlight school plus privately owned aircraft.
On one of our recent visits, among so many other encounters, the large hangars proved to be a hive of activity, with batteries drained in about a dozen devices, an apparent apparition being seen to walk past the hangar door and the mystery of people’s heads seemingly disappearing….
(Photo courtesy of Paul Bunch – Perspective I)
Former RAF Sleap, near Shrewsbury
The airbase – which is pronounced Slape – was designed as a satellite station for the nearby Tilstock airfield. It opened in 1943 under 93 group bomber command and housed an operational training unit.
The site has been the scene of fatal incidents over the years.
Within a few weeks of each other two Armstrong Whitworth Whitleys, a twin engined light/medium bomber, swung off the run way and crashed into the control tower.
Many people died in the incidents including those who were in the control tower.
The use of the airfield by The Shropshire Aero Club started in 1955 when the group was first formed by local enthusiasts.
Today there are around 500 members in the club and the base is Shropshire’s only licensed civilian airfield home to over 100 aircraft.
There has been a variety of apparent paranormal activity at the airfield.
The control tower has seen responses on the K2 metres spiking in response to questions. There have also been clear voices heard through the Frank’s Box in response to questions.
Over in the museum area there have also been spikes on the K2 metres – with several placed in different areas around an engine and all spiking at the same time.
One of the most recent incidents has been the sensation of someone playing with/pulling on the back of chairs – which sent one guest falling backwards off his seat.
Montgomery Town Hall
Montgomery Town Hall appears to be an active location with plenty of paranormal activity being experienced on previous investigations.
Montgomery Town Hall is Grade 2* Listed because it is an exceptionally well-preserved large Georgian market hall. It is the focal point of the town – its townscape and civic history.
Dating from 1748, by William Baker of Audlem and remodelled with upper storey raised in 1828 by Thomas Penson for Lord Clive. The lower floor was the market and the arches were open until around 1900.
The upper floor was used for the Quarter Sessions and meetings of the Borough Corporation. The clock tower was added in 1921.
It is thought that prisoners and the accused were brought from the nearby Gaol to the court as there is no holding cell on the premises.
For hundreds of years, Montgomery was of the greatest strategic importance on the Welsh Marches and saw battles and sieges during the border struggle between Welsh and English.
The infamous Robber’s Grave is just down the road at St Nicholas’ Church. The robber was a young man by the name of John Davies who was hanged in 1821 for a misdemeanour.
John Davies went to the noose protesting his innocence of any crime and declared that no grass would grow on his grave for a hundred years. Strange to say it did not.
This location is certainly a hidden gem.
Whittington Castle, near Oswestry, Shropshire
This beautiful and romantic castle was first built between the 12th and 13th Century.
The castle ruins have an extensive history.
The gatehouse tower at the site currently houses the function room, but it was once a medieval courtroom and it is believed there were cells below it.
There is also a medieval well in the half-timbered cottage, which is also part of the gate house.
A death which involved a cricket ball has been recorded at the castle in the 1920s.
Paranormal activity has been reported in a variety of parts of the building – including smells and temperature changes.
In previous paranormal investigations Paranormal Friends witnessed stones being thrown, bangs from the ceiling and a table has even moved without physical influence during a group experiment.
Old Shrewsbury Abbey Infirmary and Queen Anne House, Shrewsbury
This is a restored medieval building known as the Old Infirmary and Queen Anne House.
The building is currently used as the headquarters of the Shropshire Wildlife Trust.
It has also been used by pilgrims visiting Shrewsbury Abbey, with its location near the River Severn, and there is even an archway believed to mark the navigation channel to this river.
Queen Anne House was also used by the late Hilda Murrell for her writings. The anti-nuclear campaigner was found murdered just outside Shrewsbury.
Staff have reported the feeling of being watched and hearing unexplained noises – especially when working late at night.
When using the K2 metres there have also been spikes in a certain area of the building, with the metre going up to orange on request.
Several guests have also reported sensations in one of the upstairs rooms where it is believed someone was hanged.
Erasmus Darwin House, Lichfield, Staffordshire
This house was home to the grandfather of Charles Darwin and showcases the interests that the Darwin family had.
Erasmus Darwin was a physicist, inventor, poet and scientist who laid the foundation of his grandson’s interest.
He was a founding member of the Lunar Society, which was a dinner club for the learned society of predominant figures – including industrialists and intellectuals.
The name was given to the club as it would always meet under the light of a full moon so members could find their way home.
His home features a variety of rooms including a cellar where known dissection of bodies took place.
Downstairs there is also the inventions room and the parlour. Upstairs there is the library, exhibition room and the Lunar Room.
The live in caretaker says she has heard unexplained voices and has seen imprints in her bed as if something is actually sitting there.
Hanley Town Hall, Stoke-On-Trent
The three-storey building echoes the French Renaissance and was built as the Queen’s Hotel in 1869.
The town hall has been described as “rife” with history having been acquired by the town in 1884.
It has a variety of rooms including an impressive court room, a former police station in the basement, an abandoned council chamber and council committee rooms.
The building was acquired by the town in 1884.
It is rumoured an ex-prison guard walks around in the prison area and a man also keeled over and died while he was waiting to watch court proceedings from the public gallery.
There have also been reports that the face of an angry man has appeared in the public gallery followed by floating lights.
Stoke Town Hall, Stoke-On-Trent
The stunning building is Grade II listed and is the largest of the Potteries’ old municipal buildings.
In the past the north wing of the building housed the town’s fire engine and was also a police station.
The central ground floor contained a market.
Upstairs there was a court room and a place for meetings to be held.
There has been a variety of activity recorded at the town hall.
It is rumoured a child haunts part of the Kings Hall area and staff, as well as visitors, have heard noises from the back of the stage when no one is there.
Those who work at the site have also heard footsteps and have seen shadows through the building.
Pitchford Hall, near Shrewsbury, Shropshire
This Grade I listed Tudor building is set within acres of land and lies deep within the countryside.
It is steeped with history. The home includes a priest hole where Prince Rupert hid from the Roundheads during the Civil War.
Queen Victoria also played in the tree house there when she was a princess.
The floor plan is E-shaped round a courtyard to the south with a Victorian service wing to the west. There is also an Orangery and walled garden in the grounds.
The house was also chosen as a safe place during the Second World War if the royal family needed to be evacuated from London.
On our investigation we had great communication through a human pendulum with responses of either yes or no to our questions.
We had found out that the spirit we were talking to had been fatally wounded by arrows. At that moment a guest took a photograph and three “arrows” appeared on the picture.